Fix for Mpeg1 playback after Win10 Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix for Mpeg1 playback after Win10 Update

A while back in May. Windows 10 did a update affecting mpeg1 codecs and in turn it stopped the audio for mpeg1s from playing in timecoder and other indata software. Mainly I deal with mpeg4 now so I haven't had a problem just converting but I was on a mission today. I went through my codecs and turns out on this machine the only codec pack i had installed was the indata codec pack. After uninstalling, mpeg1 and mpeg4 play perfectly fine. Just sharing because I and 4 others videographers and trial techs came across this problem and we were just avoiding it by using only mpeg4. I tested this on my other machines in the office and it was what was holding us back.

Originally posted by JJacob View Post
    A while back in May. Windows 10 did a update affecting mpeg1 codecs and in turn it stopped the audio for mpeg1s from playing in timecoder and other indata software. Mainly I deal with mpeg4 now so I haven't had a problem just converting but I was on a mission today. I went through my codecs and turns out on this machine the only codec pack i had installed was the indata codec pack. After uninstalling, mpeg1 and mpeg4 play perfectly fine. Just sharing because I and 4 others videographers and trial techs came across this problem and we were just avoiding it by using only mpeg4. I tested this on my other machines in the office and it was what was holding us back.
    This makes sense as the codecs within that pack were certified by Microsoft many years ago... they are a little dated in Windows 10 though. The intent on that codec pack is to place priority settings back on inData / Ipro codecs in case other 3rd party codecs have hijacked playback. If you definitely had no other codec packs installed outside of the inData / Ipro one, then what happens is the codecs are triggered outside of the program, (instead of inside) and you are left with no audio / no video or both - making the install counter-productive. Generally, it should only be installed if other 3rd party codecs have been identified and doesn't typically get deployed on a barebones "Windows just installed with basic updates" system / image which is what we assume you have. Codecs have mostly moved to the 64 bit realm in Windows 10.

On the flip side, in the TimeCoder Pro installation folder, there is an "Audio Video Codec Pack.svm" that's always active in order to codec priority while the TimeCoder Pro sandbox / program is open - this is part of the initial inData / Ipro Virtualization. A contingency plan in the event that no codecs are available on the system but playback is possible.

Discussion aside, Microsoft has made it clear MPEG-1 / MPEG 2 is considered legacy. It's future is unknown. Speaking to other vendors and software manufacturers in the industry, MPEG-4 is being embraced as the preferred format and if you bring legacy MPEG-1 / MPEG-2's into future software they will likely convert it to MPEG-4 on-the-fly so it's just easier to already have it as MPEG-4.

MPEG-1 is low-quality and MPEG-2 tends to get very large. We've seen MPEG-2's hover around 30GB on a single file - not ideal. MPEG-4 offers better quality inside a smaller container.
    Can't see pictures? You might have to register or login.

Comment

Working...
    X